Thursday, July 14, 2011

Weee'rrreee Baaaacccckkkk!

This post was intended to be up in June right after our vacation, however, my computer decided to poop out on me so it has been sitting here waiting to be "published." Thanks to the generosity of my family I have a new computer that feels like magic! I hope you enjoy our blog and I intend to back track a little to "catch up" in the next few posts (because I am totally type A and can't handle skipping time). If you don't enjoy our blog why on earth are you reading this?! Happy New Year...now lets go back in time to mid June...

We got our summer off to an excellent start with an 18 hour road trip to Texas followed by just enough time to relax and eat some Mexican food before an 8 hour flight to Maui! YES it was worth every minute of that flight...even with a 3 year old in tow.

We stayed on Kaanapali Beach at a place called the Kaanapali Alii. It was fabulous as you will see! Here is what we woke up to every morning.



Here is Grandma Judy on our balcony. At some point in the trip Luke "shouted" down to Todd and I that he had to go to the bathroom, we didn't hear him and ...you guessed it he had an accident. Poor Grandma and Grandpa had to clean it up.

"Kitty Cat Pool" as our favorite 3 year old renamed it.


"Hot Coffee Tub" (he has a name for everything).


Many hours spent in this pool...the ocean waves proved to be a little much for the little guy.



Every morning they had coffee by the pool (there is Todd demonstrating how to relieve jet lag). Plus we didn't let a silly old vacation cause us to miss a minute of the Casey Anthony murder trial (it was playing on one of the TV's everyday).
Right off the beach our resort had 8 gas grills, lots of tables and even an herb garden for grilling out. This is the view from that area...


Condo-riffic! Apparently I only take pictures when Todd is drinking...my problem or his?

One of my favorite spots in the world! Seriously, Todd are you drinking again back there? (To be clear when I say drinking I mean water not booze. We are getting old, especially Todd.)


Errr, we're number 1???


If you ever want a resort pool to yourself let your 3 year old repeatedly jump in while you clap and shout and take pictures. Eventually everyone else will clear out!



Gettin ready for the Old Lahaina Luau (otherwise known as the first, last, and only luau you will ever see on this blog) to start. It was a lovely night but after you have seen some hula dancing you have seen it all.


Something about "flowers in her hair." Santa wannabe is photobombing.


Beautiful setting and all you can drink! Shocked I haven't captured Todd imbibing.


Grandpa and Grandma before dinner.

Everybody say MAI TAI!!!


ALOHA



Before the show you could watch crafts being made...


play Hawaiian instruments...


or chill out on Dad's shoulders!


"One day I will learn how to hula."


And the show begins...


He requested getting a picture with this giant monkey? crazy person? monster?


The view of Kaanapali Beach and the Sheraton hotel. Todd and I had our honeymoon in one of those rooms on top of the black rock.


Todd was more brave than any of us getting in those massive (to me) waves.


Nice beach...


What man doesn't love posing for multiple pictures at his wife's request while on the beach?? Thanks for being patient. This picture is now up in our bathroom...


Not Todd but I am pretty proud of myself for taking this. Also up in the bathroom!!!


Todd waiting for a wave and a catamaran.


YAY!!!


Exploring the ancient Hawaiian dwellings in the city of Lahaina. Check out the new (at the time) Bob Marley shirt.


More ancient dwellings (really wish I could remember the official name).


Older gentleman skateboarding on Front Street in Lahaina.


First ever shave ice!


Grandpa...???? Nope just the bird guy. He was so nice and took a great pic of Luke holding a parrot. Can't post it on the blog though, you will have to come visit us to see it!


Biggest Banyan Tree in the world...I think. They actually grow into and out of the ground...I think. Clearly I need to read up on Banyan Trees, but what I do know is that this one was as fun to climb on as a playground!


We all got in on the climbing action.


Kind of spooky...except for the super happy 3 year old.


Ahhhh...the goat farm! What...doesn't your idea of vacation include a visit to a goat farm? I laugh now 8 months later but at the time I thought it was a great experience for Luke, plus we got to sample LOTS of cheese.


Please make your own jokes now.


Teamwork...


So proud...


Forget the goats, Luke was more enamored with the herding dogs.


Are those Stride-Rites you are wearing?


The green pasture, the blue sky, the picket fence...if I was a goat this would be heaven.


Luke wanted to get up close to learn how to make goat cheese. Teacher's pet...


Off the beaten path for sure. In August I took Kona to the vet in Venice, FL and learned that the office administrator had just come back from Maui. We were comparing trips when out she told me that her nephew works at the Surfing Goat Dairy Farm. She described him and turns out we didn't see him but I love those "small world" stories.


We stuffed ourselves silly with goat cheese...


then went to the hippy town Paia for a delicious lunch at...


The location is okay I guess.


First umbrella drink...I think it was a rum punch or was it a shirley temple?


So we figured out this was kind of a fancy place when they brought a tiny gourmet asparagus soup appetizer to each of us. Nice job on the Nike t-shirt right and don't forget we had been petting goats just minutes before this. As always, nothing but class.


I want my house to look like this.


These people were looking out to the ocean. I am not even sure this place had real windows...


Goodbye Mama's Fish House


Grilling out with Daddy.


Dolphin watching trip!


On the boat ready to go...should mention this is his first ever boat ride on the open seas.


In my opinion this guy was surfing too close to the boat but he seemed to know what he was doing and I got this sweet picture (also up in the bathroom).


Looking back on the Lahaina Marina as we go out to see. Too lazy to get up and look but I am pretty sure this picture is in the bathroom too.


Do you know why Maui is called the Valley Isle?


Ready for the adventure.


Trying to get his sea legs as the water gets more rough...


giving up on those sea legs and opting to lay down.


BLOWHOLE!


We cruised up to a pod of Spinner Dolphins...


there were so many surrounding the boat. Truly a once in a lifetime experience...


that Luke slept through. We never figured out if he was sea-sick or lulled to sleep by the rocking. Either way he wasn't alone...


On the way back to shore we saw some bonus animals...4 turtles.


After his nap, Luke decided to drive the boat.


Somebody likes to get their picture taken...

No comments: